Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Losing The Race

| Learning | September 2, 2013

(I am in 11th grade English class. We have just finished reading a novel that takes place in South Africa in the 1960’s and are divided into groups to create a presentation on different aspects of South Africa. I am grouped with two other girls and our topic is ‘The Status of Black Women in South Africa.’ We have been figuring out how to split up the work. Partner #1 has taken on a leadership role and Partner #2 has been very quiet through most of the discussion.)

Partner #1: “Alright, so I’m tackling the general topic of prejudice against women. [My name], you’ve got the presentation design, visual components and digging up any photographs you can find from the 1960’s. [Partner #2], what part do you wanna take on for the presentation?”

Partner #2: “Oprah.”

Me: “Do you mean about the school she had built in South Africa? You could do that to segue into the topic of education of young black women in South Africa.”

Partner #2: “No, my topic is Oprah.”

Partner #1: “But, Oprah isn’t from South Africa.”

Partner #2: “She’s African American.”

Partner #1: “Yes, she is, but she was born in the United States. She’s not South African.”

Partner #2: *gasp* “You can’t say that! That’s racist!”

Partner #1: “Say what?”

Partner #2: “You have to say African American!”

Me: “If someone is from South Africa, they’re called South African. Like Canada has Canadians, Europe has Europeans, Asia has Asians. It’s not racist; it’s a regional title.”

Partner #2: “That’s just wrong! You’re all racists!”

(After that, we drop the subject and get to work. Partner #2 insists on sticking to her topic on Oprah, so Partner #1 and I work on our stuff and hope for the best. I put together a little write up about the education system as back up, as well as a snippet about the girls’ school involving Oprah. Come presentation day, and Partner #1 and I have just finished our bits and it is Partner #2’s turn. Her blurb ends up being a short biography of Oprah’s life, and she never touches on anything in regards to South Africa. It comes to the time for questions from the class.)

Student #1: “So… is Oprah South African?”

Partner #2: “She’s African American.”

Student #2: “What does she have to do with black women of South Africa?”

Partner #2: “AFRICAN AMERICAN! YOU CAN’T SAY THAT!! IT’S—”

Me: “—what [partner #2] means to say, is…”

(I give the quick speech about the school and education system.)

Partner #2: “NO! That is not what I meant to say! My presentation is about Oprah! OPRAH! Not some dumb school!”

(With that, she storms out, leaving the rest of the class totally stumped.)

Teacher: “Don’t worry; I’ll mark [partner #2] separately. And I think she and I need to have a little talk.”


This story is part of our Juneteenth roundup!

Want to read the next story? Click here!

Want to read the roundup? Click here!

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!