Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Losing A Few Files In His Brain, Too

, , , | Right | October 4, 2017

(I work with support tickets on game servers. Clients send in questions and requests, and then we do our best to work with them.)

Client: “Help! My server is broken!”

(I look in the console and see no errors.)

Me: “I’m terribly sorry, but I don’t see any errors in your console. Could you please be more specific as to what is broken or not working?”

Client: “Put my ticket on hold; I think I got this.”

(I do as he wants, and go back to my work. I note that he replies a few minutes later, so I open his ticket.)

Client: “HELP! I DELETED ALL THE FILES ON MY SERVER AND NOW IT WON’T WORK!”

(Stunned, I check, and sure as can be, everything is gone, including core files. I ask him if he had a backup. He answers no, so I get the core files on his server to start it up fresh.)

Me: “I’m sorry to hear that you lost your files, but I’ve loaded the core files so your server can start up again. Unfortunately, all plugin data, map data, and other related data is gone.”

Client: “That’s stupid.”

Me: “I’m very sorry for this. We recommend backing up regularly. Additionally, please refrain from modifying or deleting server files if you’re not sure what you’re doing; it makes it easier for everyone, and minimizes damage risk.”

Client: “So, you’re saying this is my fault?”

Me: “I’m not trying to point fingers. Sorry if it sounded like that. However, it says in our Terms of Service—” *I link him to it* “—that we are not held responsible for situations in which the client modifies or deletes files of his free will.”

Client: “That’s f****** stupid.”

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!