Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Looking For A Salesperson, Not A Rock Star

, , , , , | Working | September 26, 2017

(We recently started a search for a new salesperson. One candidate earned an interview through sheer persistence, which should have been a sign of what was to come. After being rejected post-interview, he sends this message to the owner of the company, and a similar message to the person who interviewed him:)

Candidate: “I called [Interviewer] back, and after our interview, I had three businesses ready to sign, yet it appears he’s going with someone else. I’m a straight-out-of-the-gate rockstar performer, and [Interviewer]’s actions devalue my degree and verify that [Prestigious University] doesn’t mean s***. I was soooo ready to roll for you guys, and kill it, and you made a bad decision. Remember this message when your new guy produces mediocrity, compared with me coming in with three verified closed contracts. Good call, geniuses; you just explained to me why [Company] will never be known in the stature of Google.”

(Of course, this message is shared throughout the office, and the interviewer immediately calls the guy back.)

Interviewer: “I saw the message you sent [Owner]. How can you think this is acceptable behavior? If this is how you react to rejection from an interview, are you going to do the same thing if a sale doesn’t go through?”

Candidate: “I don’t know. I’ve never had a sale not go through.”

Interviewer: “Then you’re obviously meant for bigger and better things than [Company]. We wish you luck in your future endeavors.”

(The candidate tried to backtrack and play up how great he’d do at our company, only to get hung up on mid-protest. He then proceeded to bombard the interviewer’s phone with calls and messages. We didn’t hire him.)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!