Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Looking Is Free But Time Is Money

, , | Right | April 28, 2018

(It is 2009, when I have just launched my brand of handmade jewelry and started to sell them it exhibitions and street fairs. I have just moved to a new venue and am scared about doing a standalone show, so I join a group of small business-women entrepreneurs and do shows with them. It is the second day of the show and a hot morning with hardly any walk-ins. After a while, a lady walks in and shows a lot of interest in my jewelry. We talk for around 25 minutes, so I get excited and start doing a mental calculation of how much she will be spending and slowly prepare myself to close in on the sale.)

Me: “So, ma’am—” *giving her a big smile* “—you are absolutely right; these would all look stunning on you.”

Customer: *removes the necklace that she has been trying on and says* “Yes, it’s beautiful, much like the others!”

Me: “So, which are the ones that you will be taking? Can I wrap these three up?”

Customer: “No, sadly, I cannot buy them.”

Me: *shocked* “You like them and they look good on you.”

Customer: “Yes, I do like them, but I don’t have any money with me. You see, I came to buy coriander at the vegetable market next door and just brought some change. When I saw your sign I thought it would be a good way to spend some time looking around. Looking is free, right?”

(The lady smiled and left, leaving me looking stupefied. I wanted to scream, “Looking is free, but my time isn’t!”)


This story is part of our India roundup!

Read the next India Roundup story!

Read the India roundup!

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!