Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Locked On Your Faulty Reasoning

| Working | September 25, 2015

(My school has a small café that is a popular hangout, as well as an alternative location for instructors to hold small classes. My math professor has assigned us a take-home exam, and we’ve agreed to meet at the café. My dorm is nearest the café, so I’m there first.)

Me: *walking into the café* “Good morning!”

Café Worker: “Hello.”

(The serving area isn’t open yet, so I grab a seat and wait for everyone else. The workers who are here ignore me, going about their business. Fifteen minutes past the meeting time, I’m beginning to wonder where everyone is. Then I see several of my classmates outside one of the windows.)

Classmates: “Oh, it’s locked. Guess they’re not opening early today.”

(Confused, I look out to see my whole class gathered at the corner, with my professor handing out the papers. Not sure what’s going on, I grab my bag and head for the front door, again crossing in front of the café worker I greeted earlier. I go to leave, but find the door locked.)

Me: “Err, excuse me?”

Café Worker: “Yes?”

Me: “Can you please unlock the door so I can get out?”

Café Worker: “How’d you get in here?”

Me: “I walked in… The door was unlocked… I said hello to you, and you didn’t tell me to leave.”

Café Worker: “You’re not supposed to be in here. We’re not opening until 6:30, like we usually do.”

Me: “I can see that. But no one said anything when I walked in. And I’ve been sitting here for the past twenty minutes.”

Café Worker: “You’re not supposed to be in here! We’re not open yet!”

Me: “Then let me out!”

(He finally unlocked the door, grumbling about students who don’t read the signs.)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!