Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Living Childfree Doesn’t Protect You From Screaming Babies

, , , , | Right | January 9, 2023

I am checking out an older couple during the after-church hours. Anyone who has worked Sunday during these hours knows these customers can sometimes be… a bit much.

They have bought a huge bag of dog food on sale, and I pick it up to scan it, and then place it behind me.

Customer: “Oh, dear, don’t do that! It’s far too heavy. [Husband], you do it!”

Me: “It’s fine, ma’am, I do it all the time.”

Customer: “Oh but you mustn’t do that! It’s not good for a girl your age to be doing that, it won’t be good when you get married and want babies.”

Me: “Oh, I don’t want babies.”

I just blurted that out without thinking, and as soon as I said it, I knew it was a mistake. NEVER get personal with the customers, especially the judgemental after-church crowd. The customer blinks widely and does a “clutch pearls” gesture.

Customer: “But why! Every girl your age should be looking to find a man and have babies.”

Me: “I… I just don’t want babies.”

Customer: “But… why?”

Me: “I just don’t want them. I don’t want the commitment.”

Woman Customer: “How selfish of you!”

Me: “Pardon?”

Customer: *Suddenly angry.* “When you’re all alone in the care home with no one to love you, you’ll regret your selfish decision!”

Me: “Ma’am, it’s none of your business—”

Customer: “Selfish!”

Me: *Giving up.* “So you’re saying the only reason I should have children is to force them into some obligation to look after me when I get old? And you think I’m the selfish one?”

Customer: “Stop twisting my words!”

The customer’s husband finally speaks up.

Customer’s Husband: “Come on now, dear, she’s right; you did say that. Let’s just get our things and go.”

Customer: “But we can’t leave now! She still doesn’t want children!”

Customer’s Husband: “She doesn’t want a child, and you behaving like one isn’t going to change her mind. Let’s go!”

She grumbles, pays, and they take their items. Next Sunday he was back, with the wife staying in the car. Fine by me!


This story is part of our Editors’-Favorite-Stories-Of-2023-(so far!) roundup!

Read the next story!

Read the roundup!

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!