Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Living By A (Bar)Code Of Honesty

| Right | September 26, 2013

(I am working customer service when an elderly couple with no items walk up to the counter and hand me a barcode.)

Me: “Hi, how can I help you today?”

Elderly Man: “Yes, we would like to purchase this item please”.

Me: “Oh, did you want to pay for it now and pick it up later? In that case I’ll need a couple of your details.”

Elderly Man: “No, that’s not it. Yesterday we purchased all these garden products and noticed the lady at the checkout forgot to scan this barcode. I’d like to pay for it.”

(I stand there, very much surprised.)

Me: “Yeah, sure thing.”

(I scan the barcode and the elderly woman pays. I stop them before they leave.)

Me: “By the way, can I still grab your details? I’ve never had anyone come back and do what you just did. I’ll pass them onto my manager and see if I can get them to send you something for being so honest.”

(The elderly couple smiles brightly, and the man gives me a business card. After they leave, I attach the card to a note to my manager explaining the situation. As far as I know, they didn’t get anything from her, but they got a whole lot of respect and admiration from me!)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!