Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Literally Minding Their Own Business

, , , | Right | July 15, 2022

Customer: “So, tell me why I should buy [product] from you instead of [Competitor that none of us really care about].”

Me: “Okay, well, with our service, we offer [benefit #1] and [benefit #2].”

Customer: “So does [Competitor].”

Me: “We also include [items].”

Customer: “So does [Competitor].”

Me: “And that’s about the gist of it. Would you like some brochures and pamphlets to take home if you need more to think about it?”

Customer: “You haven’t answered my question.”

Me: “I’m sorry, did I miss something?”

Customer: “Why should I buy it from you instead of [Competitor]?”

Me: “Sir, what [Competitor] does is entirely their business. They have absolutely nothing to do with us, they are a separate entity, and they do not concern us to any degree whatsoever. I’ve explained to you what we have to offer.”

Customer: *Walking to the door* “Welp! Guess I’m gonna go with [Competitor], then!”

Me: “Thanks for stopping by.” *To another customer* “Madam, did you have any questions?”

As I’m talking with the next customer, I notice the first man standing there at the door with his hand on the handle. He gives me a “This-is-your last-chance” look. I respond with a “What-are-you-standing-there-for?” look. He waves dismissively and walks away.

Customer #2: “I think he was hoping for you to offer a discount or beat [Competitor]’s price.”

Me: “I know. We’re here to literally mind our own business, not worry about what everyone else is doing across the board. That’s for the corporate office to do. If he wants something cheaper and thinks we’ll drop our prices or throw in extras at our own expense… well… you know they say about wishing in one hand?”

We both laughed and continued with our transaction.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!