Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Listen To The Irony Of The Situation

| Right | June 2, 2014

(I work as a cashier in a grocery store that values guest service very highly. We’re expected to greet, converse with, and thank every customer. My current customer, a young woman, is talking on her cell phone.)

Me: “Hello. How are you today?”

Customer #1: *talking on phone* “… and then we went to the mall and shopped for mom’s birthday…”

(Noticing she’s on her phone, I don’t attempt to make any more conversation other than ‘paper or plastic’ and ‘sign here, please.’ She doesn’t say a word to me. I then turn to the next person in line, an older lady shopping with a friend.)

Me: “Hi! Did y’all find everything you needed today?”

Customer #2: *ignoring me, speaking to her friend* “Can you believe that girl? When I’m working at [Retailer], I won’t ring them up until they get off the phone. So rude!”

Me: “Would you like your milk in a bag, ma’am?”

Customer #2: *still speaking to friend* “I mean, is your conversation SO important that you can’t pay attention to the person in front of you?”

Me: “Your total is [amount]. Can you sign the screen, please?”

Customer #2: *signs without looking at me, still chatting* “Common courtesy is dead, I’m afraid.”

Me: *quietly bagging the groceries* “Thank you. Here is your receipt. Have a nice day.”

(They left without a word. Some people just aren’t very self-aware, I guess!)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!