Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Unsure How To Insure, Part 4

| Working | September 2, 2014

(I was in a car accident and had to fill out paperwork for the auto insurance company to reimburse the days of work I missed as a result of my injuries. They sent me a check and told me not to cash it until I got verification that they had received my paperwork, to avoid fraud. After about a month I was getting antsy, so I decided to call them.)

Insurance Agent: “This is [Company]. How can I help you?”

Me: “Hi. About a month ago I mailed some paperwork in regarding my reimbursement for my work days. I was told not to cash my check until I received something in the mail saying you received it. I was just hoping someone could check if my mail arriv—”

Insurance Agent: “It hasn’t.”

Me: “Oh… Uhm, you didn’t ask for my name or information.”

Insurance Agent: “We haven’t received that sort of mail at this time. You need to mail it.”

Me: “Well… I did. I did mail it. If it’s an issue with the post office then that’s all I need to know.”

Insurance Agent: “We can mail you another copy of that paperwork if need be.”

Me: “Sure, that’d be great.”

(I received yet another copy in the mail, and mailed it with two-day delivery. Two months later, I still have not heard from an agent. I figure that the chances of the letter getting lost again are low, so I cash the check and hope for the best. A few days later I receive a call.)

Insurance Agent: “Ma’am, it appears that it took you about four months to cash in your check. Why did you wait so long?”

Me: “I was told not to touch it until I received verification, via mail, that you got my paperwork. The first letter was apparently lost somewhere, and I mailed my second copy two months ago, which should have been in your hands one month and 27 days ago.”

Insurance Agent: “We have never had that rule for checks. We believe there is reason that you did not need that money after all.”

Me: “Excuse me? When I talked to an agent on the phone, she told me not to touch it, and said it in the mail she herself sent me. The only reason I cashed the check is because I figured there’s no way the same kind of letter could get lost twice.”

Insurance Agent: “An agent would not have told you that. But it shocks me that if that was a rule of ours, you cashed your check anyway.”

Me: “Seriously? Could you tell me if you received my mail or not?”

(The insurance agent takes my information. He insists that not only was my letter not delivered, but I must not have mailed it at all!)

Me: “I mailed it. There’s no way the post office is this neglectful and so strategically coincidental to lose the same two pieces of mail a month apart. You have to have it.”

Insurance Agent: “Ma’am, I’m disconnecting the call as you are threatening me.”

Me: “WHAT?!”

(The following week, an agent called me. He also insisted that my mail had not arrived, but stated that this wasn’t my fault, and this wasn’t the first call he’s gotten this month regarding lost mail! He apologized for the behavior of the caller, told me not to worry about implications of fraud, and said that I can keep my check. The mystery was never solved!)

 

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!