Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Lift Me A Misogynist

| Working | November 22, 2012

(My brother, a friend of his, and myself are at a furniture store picking up his new living room set. My brother and I are both average height and stocky, but his friend, who is female, is pretty petite. However, as she works a very physically demanding job, she is *much* stronger than she looks. We’ve brought my SUV down and my brother’s truck. There’s the couch, an ottoman, and a chair, but before we can start moving them, this happens.)

Store Manager: “Aww, did you bring your little girlfriend so she could make sure you picked a good couch?”

My Brother: “Um, she’s not my girlfriend. She’s here to help us move the furniture.”

Store Manager: “Her?! She’s too small to be useful!”

Me: “Go tell her that. Better yet, try physically stopping her from helping.”

Store Manager: *to her* “Don’t try to pick that up. You’ll hurt yourself! It’s very heavy!”

(My brother’s friend grabs the plastic bail binding and lifts it easily up and down.)

Her: “Can’t be more than 70 pounds.”

Store Manager: “It’s too heavy for girls!”

(The store manager tries to take it from her, but she sets it down.)

Her: “Buddy, I’m going to say this once. I came down here to your store to help my friend pick up his furniture order. I didn’t come here to hear your useless prattle about women. I suggest you stay out of my way before you hurt yourself!”


This story is part of our Women’s Equality Day roundup!

Read the next Women’s Equality Day story!

Read the Women’s Equality Day roundup!

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!