Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Library Card Versus The Race Card

, , , , , | Right | October 25, 2021

I’m a patron in a library. I see a woman and a small child come in and try to check out a few movies.

Librarian: “I’m sorry, but you have to pay your overdue fee first before we can let you check out these books.”

Woman: “I always return my books on time!”

Librarian: “Our systems show you have fifteen dollars in late fees.”

You can have up to ten dollars in fees and still be able to check stuff out, so she only really has to pay five dollars, but she isn’t having any of it.

Woman: “I am not paying an arm and a leg to check out a book! You won’t let me get anything because you’re racist!”

Librarian: *Taken aback* “What?”

Woman: “You don’t like me because I have an Asian child!”

She is white.

Librarian: “Ma’am, you can’t check these out because you haven’t paid your fines. All you need to do is pay five dollars to be able to check them out.”

Woman: “I will not be discriminated against! You have a problem with Asian children!”

At this point, she is yelling, and another patron walks up to her.

Other Patron: “You need to calm down. We’re in a library.”

Woman: “Well, she’s racist and won’t let me check out these movies!”

Other Patron: “This is a library. No one wants to hear you.”

She then gives up and just storms out, pulling the kid by his arm pretty hard. I go up to the librarian.

Me: “I think she was having a bad day and just wanted to take it out on someone.”

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!