Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Liar, Liar, Mattress On Fire

, , , , , | Working | October 23, 2021

My wife and I were full-time RVers and we decided it was time to get a new mattress for our bed in the RV. We went to a local store and arranged to purchase the mattress. Beds in most RVs do not use box springs, as they are on a pedestal.

Me: “I want to buy the mattress, but I don’t want to buy the box spring.”

Salesperson: “Umm… I don’t think I can do that. Let me get a manager.”

I looked at my wife and she was just shaking her head because she knows I have a low tolerance for stupid.

Manager: “I can’t sell you just the mattress. You have to purchase the box spring, as well.”

Me: “No, I don’t.”

Manager: “Our rules say you do.”

Me: “Okay, I’ll purchase it, but I won’t take it.”

Manager: “No, you have to use it.”

Me: “What? Most RVs don’t have room to put a mattress on top of a box spring.”

Manager: “You must use a box spring.”

Me: “Why?”  

Manager: “Because… umm… it’s a fire hazard not to use it.”

I looked at her and then at the hundreds of mattresses on display throughout the showroom that were sitting on pedestal foundations.

Me: “In that case, why hasn’t your store burned to the ground?”

We walked out and purchased JUST the mattress at a different store.

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!