Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

A Lengthy Cable Discussion

, , , , | Working | May 10, 2018

(We had never had cable, so one year I decide to look into it as a surprise for my kids. I call one of the national providers after seeing one of their commercials offering some sort of special deal. After going through the normal sales pitch…)

Me: “Okay, that all sounds good, but I need to know if you can even get a cable down to—”

Agent: “Oh, we can get a cable anywhere!”

Me: “Okay, well, my home is on the backend of my property. Our driveway is about 400 yards, so I was wondering if that would be a—”

Agent: “No problem. We can run the cable from behind your home from one of your neighbors.”

Me: “I don’t have any neighbors behind, or really beside my home. I am surrounded by a 40-acre tract of wilderness. The only neighbors I have are at the beginning of my driveway. They all are customers of yours.”

Agent: “Oh, well, that is a long way to run cable, and there will be a charge for that.”

Me: “I understand that is a longer stretch than what your company usually deals with, but I would like to know how much that will cost.”

Agent: “I don’t know. We need to get a tech out there to measure and scope out the lay of the land, where it ties in, etc., and then we will know how much it will be.”

Me: “Okay, so, when can we get a tech out here?”

Agent: “First, we need to get this contract going and sign you up. Now, what package were you interested in?”

Me: “Wait. Contract? No, I need to know how much it will cost, first.”

Agent: “Oh, we can’t send a tech out there until we have a signed contract, first. It shouldn’t cost too much. So I need your social—”

Me: “No.”

Agent: “No?”

Me: “No, I am not signing an open-ended contract. I need to know how much it will cost, first. Are we talking a $100, $500…”

Agent: “Oh.” *with a laugh* “I doubt it will cost $500.”

Me: “But you don’t know? I need a bit more than, ‘I doubt it will cost…’ I want the cost in writing.”

Agent: “Well, it usually runs around $200. In order to find out, we need to sign you up for service, first, and figure out which package works best for your family.”

Me: “But you aren’t sure? No, I don’t sign open-ended contracts. That is like sending you a blank check. I need to know the price up front.”

Agent: “I have never seen it go too high. You need not worry. Now, about this contract—”

Me: “And what if the price is too high? Can I cancel the contract?”

Agent: “There is the standard cancellation fee of $350 for breaking the contract, but—”

Me: “No, thank you. I am not signing anything. If you can’t give me at least an estimate on paper before signing, I don’t want to do business with you.”

(It worked out better this way, anyway. We prefer reading books and going out and exploring. Cable would have been a waste of time and money for us. Yet they still keep calling and sending me junk mail, trying to get me to sign up for their service.)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!