Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Leave Your Baggage In California

, , , , | Right | February 3, 2021

I’m behind one person checking out at a grocery; he is older, probably in his late sixties or early seventies. No one is behind me until it is my turn to check out. This grocery store still offers bags; however, a mix of guests shop at other stores where you have to bring your own, so it’s just a habit.

Cashier: “Hello, do you need a bag?”

Customer: “And why the h*** would I not need one? Do you think I’m going to carry it out one by one? Do you have a better idea?”

The customer turns to me and says:

Customer: “What a freaking idiot.”

Of course, his tone is nasty, argumentative, and seeking attention. Good thing I read these stories and literally have been waiting for a few years now to be in this situation. I show him my bag.

Me: “The reason she asked is that most people bring in their own bag and she didn’t want to start bagging to only have to stop and redo it.”

Customer #1: “Well, we aren’t in California. I want a d*** bag…”

Honestly, I tune him out because it’s far too easy. I do know that at this point the cashier relaxes a little and says some words back to him I’m sure she wouldn’t have otherwise, but she knows at the moment that I have her back.

He leaves, it’s my turn, and then a person joins the line behind me.

Cashier: “Was it really that strange that I asked if he needed a bag?”

Me: “Not at all. What’s strange is being rude about it, but pleasant people surprise me these days.”

Cashier: “Customer service is the worst.”

I turn to look behind me and the customer rolls her eyes at me.

Me: “It is. Stay strong.”

To that cashier, I hope you read this. You are awesome!

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!