Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Learning About Bad Managers Early In Life

, , , , , | Working | March 20, 2022

When I was a senior finishing up high school, I picked up a part-time job stocking cut flowers and potted plants at a local grocery store. My supervisor was… disorganized at best. Here are some of the conversations we had in my three months of working there.

Manager: “Can you come in today?”

Me: “Ummm. No. My graduation is today. I told you when you hired me that I needed today off.”

Manager: “Can you just come in after the ceremony?”

Me: “No. I have a family party followed by a friend party.”

Manager: “Well, can’t you just go a little late?”

Me: “NO!”

Another time…

Manager: “Can you come in for a bit today?”

Me: “I was just in for a few hours this morning and everything looked good.”

Manager: “But I didn’t ask you to come in this morning.”

Me: “You actually did yesterday.”

I sent copies of the messages as proof.

Manager: “Oh… Well, I meant this afternoon, so can you come in?”

Me: “You’re going to pay me to do nothing for a few hours?”

Manager: “Wait, what?”

Me: *Facepalm*

There are many more that I could share, but I have one more from after I quit.

Manager: “Can you come in today?”

Me: “Ummm, I quit two months ago.”

Manager: “When you say you quit, what did you really mean? Because I could really use you as we are getting busy with the holidays.”

Me: “I quit. I wasn’t aware there were multiple meanings.”

Manager: “Well, could you come in a few times off the books? I could pay you cash.”

Me: “Look. I have a forty-plus-hour-a-week job that pays triple what you were paying me. Even if I wanted to come in, which I don’t, I have no extra time. Please don’t contact me again.”

Manager: “Well. I really thought your work ethic was better than that. I am very disappointed and will be making a note of this in your records.”

Me: “Yeah, okay, you do that.”

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!