Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Lazy Doctors Are Such A Pain

, , , | Healthy | April 6, 2023

I’ve recently had surgery, and while I expect to be hurting for a while, I’ve been in an incredible amount of pain — think nine to ten on the pain scale. I end up in the emergency room because I can’t even eat with the level of pain I’ve got. They call in the surgeon to inspect some imaging they did of me.

Surgeon: “Oh, you’re fine. Everything went well. You’ll just hurt for a while.”

Me: “Something isn’t right. It took two rounds of morphine to get the pain down to just a tolerable level. I don’t think that’s typical.”

Surgeon: “Nah, it is. Just go home and take your [pain medication] as needed.”

I miserably go home. A friend tries to cheer me up by taking me out of the house a couple of days later. He notices that I’m not doing well at all, even loaded up on pain meds.

Friend: “[My Name], you should call your doctor.”

Me: “I went to [Hospital #1], and the surgeon said I was fine. I guess it’s just gonna suck for a bit.”

Friend: “No, you shouldn’t be in this amount of pain. Come on, I’m taking you to [Hospital #2]. I want you to get a second opinion.”

I don’t have the energy to argue. He takes me to the second ER. They do some imaging and testing, and within a couple of hours, the doctor comes into my room.

Doctor: “So, it looks like something happened with the surgery. We’re going to admit you for a bit to try and get this fixed. You should have gone into the ER sooner with the level of pain you’re at.”

I explain to him what happened at my previous visit. I make sure to include that the surgeon said it was completely fine and normal.

Doctor: *Pauses* “I see. I’m glad you came here, at least. Let’s get you started on [medications] so we can get you where you need to be.”

I am in the hospital for a few days, being pumped full of lots of medications. Because of the painkillers they have me on, I’m not sure what they say is wrong, but they clear me to go home about five days later.

As I’m being discharged, I get a call from the surgeon’s office.

Receptionist: “Hi. We want to schedule your post-op follow-up with [Surgeon] in three weeks!”

Me: “Actually, I’m good. Thanks. Bye.”

The second hospital got me in to see a doctor associated with them for my follow-ups. While I do still have side effects from the complications, they’re luckily minor. I make sure to tell everyone to avoid the surgeon now.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!