Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Kindness Is Its Own Reward

, , | Right | May 20, 2017

(I am meeting a friend for lunch at a popular chain restaurant. It is a bit crowded and I have gotten there first, so I decide to get my food first and then find a table. I wait in line until it’s my turn at the counter.)

Cashier: “Hello, what can I get for you?”

Me: “Hi, I’d like a chicken noodle soup in a bread bowl, please.”

(I reach into my bag for my wallet. I open it and realize that I don’t have any money or debit cards with me. I had gone out the night before and had put them in a smaller bag.)

Me: *to self* “Are you serious? That’s so stupid of me.” *to the cashier* “I’m so sorry, but I have no way to pay. I’ll have to cancel my order.”

Cashier: “Do you have your rewards card on you?”

Me: “Well, yes, but that won’t pay for my meal.”

Cashier: “Go ahead and swipe it.”

(Confused, I swipe my rewards card. The cashier punches in a few buttons, then to my surprise, takes out his own debit card and swipes it.)

Cashier: *smiling* “You’re all set. Here’s your pager.”

Me: *jaw dropped in disbelief* “Wow, thank you so much, sir! You really did not have to do that.”

Cashier: “It’s no problem, miss. Enjoy your meal!”

(I went to get a table, still in awe of the cashier’s generosity. He probably will never read this, but thank you so much for your small act of kindness towards a neglectful college student!)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!