Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Kind Gestures Create Lasting Memories

, , , , , | Working | February 11, 2021

I have been working at my store for fourteen years. I’ve seen new babies and children growing up, but sometimes I forget just how long I’ve been here.

One day, I am sitting in the breakroom and a bunch of new hires come in on break from their tour of the store. One of the teenagers comes over to me.

Teen: “Hey, [My Name]!”

I’m still wearing my nametag so I just assume that is how he knows my name. I smile at him.

Me: “Hey! Welcome to the store.”

Teen: “You probably don’t remember me, do you?”

Me: “Um… no… I’m sorry.”

Teen: *Grins* “I have been coming through your line since I was about five years old.”

And then I felt old! But I eventually did remember him. When he was five or so, he came in with his mom to buy groceries. He had this little toy horse that was on wheels that he could pull behind him. The mom was $1 short in order to get it and she told him he would have to put it back. He didn’t scream or throw a fit; he just looked heartbroken as he handed me the toy. I felt so bad that I gave her the $1 she needed in order to afford her groceries and the toy. Apparently, he never forgot. He’s still a super sweet guy.


This story is part of our Feel Good roundup for February 2021!

Read the next Feel Good roundup for February 2021 story!

Read the Feel Good roundup for February 2021!

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!