Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Kill Them With Familiarity

, , , , | Right | March 5, 2022

I work at the bagel shop owned by my father and three other people. I am considered “in charge” when I am working even when the owners are there because we all have zero experience in food service and I am in the store most often. We sell three types of bagel dogs: a standard hot dog, a polish dog, and a hot link. They can be difficult to identify wrapped in bagel, but with time, people usually learn the difference.

We have a customer that comes in and orders two bagel dogs for her son who’s around age five. The son comes in regularly with either his mom or dad.

Regular: “Two bagel dogs.”

Owner: “Got it, your total is [total].”

The owner bags the bagel dogs and gives them to the customer, and the customer leaves. Thirty minutes later, the phone rings.

Owner: “Hello, this is [Bagel Shop].” *Pauses* “Yes, I remember.” *Pauses* “Oh, I’m so sorry.” *Pauses* “Let me get the manager.” *To me* “Yeah, she’s mad. Help me.”

I take the phone.

Me: “Hello, can I help you with something?”

Customer: “Yeah, I came in and ordered two bagel dogs, and that stupid girl gave me hot links. What am I supposed to do with these? My son can’t eat these. That idiot gave me the wrong thing.”

Me: “I’m so sorry. Sometimes telling the difference between them can be confusing. If you come back, I’ll give you the correct items, no problem.”

Customer: “I can’t come back, and I don’t want to if that stupid girl is going to give me the wrong food. How dare you? We are regular customers. You know, this place has really gone downhill, and that idiot isn’t helping.”

Me: “If you can’t come back now, how about I replace the bagel dogs next time you come in? You can keep what you have now. Again, I apologize for the mix-up.”

Customer: “That’s not good enough. That stupid girl messed up! How is my son supposed to eat this—” *more ranting calling the owner stupid, dumb, an idiot, etc.*

Me: “Ma’am, that ‘idiot’ is one of the owners, and she was my substitute teacher when I was your son’s age, so please stop talking about her like that. I know you and your family well; your son is in my oldest goddaughter’s class at school, and he always shares his gummy bears with us when he comes in, so I always try to make sure your order is right due to how sweet your son is. If you can’t come back now, your entire order the next time you come in is on me.”

Customer: *Sputters* “That’s still not good enough.”

Me: “Well, what else would you like me to do?”

Customer: “Fire her, obviously.”

Me: “Fire the owner? Really?”

Customer: “Okay, fine, but I am going to order a lot next time I’m there.”

Me: “Fine, I’ll also apologize to your son when I see him later today. I’m picking up my goddaughter from school. I’ll see you next time you’re in.”

A week goes by and she calls to place her order. I recognize her number so I take the call.

Me: “[Bagel Shop], how can I help you?”

Customer: “Yeah, I talked to the manager last week, and she said I can have whatever I want for free, so don’t bother telling me I can’t.”

Me: “Yes, that was me. Glad to hear from you. What can I get you?”

Customer: “Oh. Just the two replacement bagel dogs, and make sure that… girl doesn’t pack my order.”

Me: “I will handle it personally and bring it out to you. Tell [Son] I say hello and that [Goddaughter] said thank you for sharing his muffin yesterday.”

She at least had the decency to look embarrassed at her fit when I brought the food out to her, and she said thank you. I apologized again for the confusion, and she left, hopefully feeling a bit silly.

The family continues to come in regularly. The son is around eight or nine now. He is ALWAYS far more polite than his parents, continues to insist on sharing his candy, and always passes on a hello to my goddaughter.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!