Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Kids These Days… Waiting Their Turn!

, , , , , | Friendly | February 16, 2018

(My husband and I have just settled in at an RV park for vacation and I realize we are out of bread for sandwiches. As it is almost lunch time, I quickly run to the grocery store across the street. I grab a bag of bread and head to the check out. A woman is currently in the process of checking out, with a massive amount of items on the conveyor belt. The two ladies in front of me also have a cart that is piled high with food. An elderly couple bring their cart into line behind me, which is about half full. One of the women in front of me speaks up.)

Younger Woman: “Excuse me, would you like to cut in front of me?”

(I look up from looking at the snacks, thinking she might be speaking to me. Instead, she is leaning around me to speak to the elderly couple behind me. I’m a little shocked, but quietly stand between them as they talk.)

Elderly Man: “Oh, were you speaking to me?”

Younger Woman: “Yes. Would you like to cut ahead of us, sir? Since you don’t have as many items.” *pointing at his cart*

Elderly Man: “That’s all right. We don’t mind waiting. Thank you for your offer.”

(The elderly man’s wife leans in and has a hurried whispering conversation with him, gesturing towards the ladies’ cart. At that moment, a manager walks up.)

Manager: “Hi, I can take whoever is next on this register over here in a minute!”

(I’m about to respond, when the two women ahead of me start arguing about if they should pack up what few items they already have on the belt and move over to the other line. The elderly customers behind me start beaming and immediately respond.)

Elderly Man: “Why, thank you very much!” *to his wife* “We’ll move to that line, sweetie.”

Me: *meekly* “Um… I think I was next… and all I have is one item, so…”

(All of them suddenly look at me like I just popped up out of thin air! The elderly couple give me a sour look as I scurry over to the open register and put my one bag of bread on the belt. The wife makes a big show of huffing and sighing the whole time. The manager then walks away, and we wait several moments, with the elderly woman glaring daggers the whole time. A cashier comes hurrying behind the register and quickly checks me out in less than a minute. As I stuff my bread into my shopping bag and quickly leave, I hear a parting shot:)

Elderly Woman: “Kids these days! No respect for their elders!”

(I didn’t realize that by politely waiting in line with my one item, I had been so disrespectful!)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!