Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Just What We Want: Sick People Working Near People’s Faces

, , , , | Working | July 20, 2022

I got my first job at a salon out of cosmetology school and was told I’d get at least two days off every week. I ended up with a 100-degree fever the night before my two days off. My boss called me first thing in the morning to beg me to come in for a nine-hour shift.

Me: “I can’t; I’m running a fever and I feel terrible.”

Boss: “Knock back some DayQuil and get in.”

I didn’t think much of it. I didn’t usually work nine-hour days, so I assumed I’d get a break, especially since I was sick.

I did not get to sit down for the entire nine hours that I was there. I had to beg to go and buy cough drops and some soup because I was starving. My manager wasn’t even going to let me take lunch. I was young and dumb and did not know that was illegal.

I got to eat two bites of soup before my boss came in the back and yelled at me that we were backed up and they needed another stylist on the floor because SHE had to do managerial duties. I managed to get up and finish out my day.

I left with a fever of 102 AND got a ticket for running a red light because I was so out of it. I shouldn’t have been driving.

The next day, my boss called to tell me to cover for another employee who needed the day off. I didn’t answer.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!