Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Just Have Your Groceries Delivered Next Time

, , , | Right | March 3, 2021

I always return things to where I found them in a store. I believe it’s just the decent thing to do, and if something is frozen or refrigerated, I’ll make an extra effort so it doesn’t have to be thrown out later; I don’t like wasting food. And while I don’t go around stores fixing everything, if I’m looking at something specific and see that it’s unorganized, on the floor, or out of order, I’ll usually fix it. Apparently, most people don’t think this way.

On one occasion, I’m in a grocery store with some friends. We realize we’re in a hurry and have a few unnecessary things. They’re unfamiliar with the checkout, so I offer what I think is a reasonable solution.

Me: “Okay, I’ll head to checkout and you guys can put this stuff back real quick. The [item #1] goes over there, [item #2] goes a few aisles down, and [item #3] goes at the end right there, next to the produce.”

My friends look at me like I have two heads.

Me: “Oooookay. How about I put this stuff back and I’ll come meet you at the checkout in a minute?”

My friends walk away, muttering about how what I’m doing doesn’t make sense and takes too much effort.

On another occasion, I’m in a small convenience store with some friends. [Friend #1] is randomly grabbing sodas and [Friend #2] is trying to explain which ones we need. [Friend #1] isn’t really paying attention and is rooting through a fairly organized fridge to find the sodas he wants, leaving all the ones he moved in random spots. I obviously disapprove.

Me: “No, no, put it back where you found it. You can’t just leave it there!”

Both friends scoff.

Me: “Ugh, you’ve never worked retail. The other things we need are over there. Just wait for me.” 

I love these guys, but I know they won’t be able to get the rest of the stuff without help. I quickly lean down and put the smaller sodas back on the top shelf and move the bigger sodas so they’re sitting together by kind again. It’s maybe fifteen seconds, and there is no way to make it perfect since the fridge is pretty small; I just put them back to how they were before.

Friend #2: *Mostly joking* “Are you done? I mean, why were you doing it?”

Friend #1: *Laughing* “I’m not sure you really even helped!”

I give my friends the sarcastic, eyebrow-raised death glare that only women can do.

Friends #1 & #2: *Sheepish* “Umm, what did we need again?”

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!