Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

John D’oh!

, , | Right | October 1, 2021

Caller: *Speaking really fast* “I need to place an order to pick up at one of your stores as soon as possible.”

Me: “Sure, I can help you out with that.”

Our computer will autofill with the customer’s information if they’ve ever called us from that number before, but on this one, my screen is blank. We also have several locations they can pick up from, so the customer has to specify. Getting all of this information is part of the normal order procedure for basically any company out there, I would think.

Caller: “Great, we have an emergency. I need [five items] for pickup as fast as you can.”

Me: “Okay, and let me get some more information. Can I have your name, please?”

Caller: *Somehow speaking even faster* “MynameisJohn, putitundermyname.” *Hangs up*

I was dumbfounded! He didn’t provide his last name, his billing information, payment method, or the location he wanted to pick up from! Normally, I would have tried calling him back on the number from the caller ID, but — of course — my call log showed my last call as “Anonymous” with no number recorded. I mentioned this to my supervisor sitting nearby, who rolled his eyes and said, “What a dumba**.”

To the poor employee working the pickup counter at one of our locations: I am really, really sorry if John with no last name showed up and gave you an earful for not having his order ready!

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!