Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Job Unap-para-ent

| Right | July 25, 2013

(I am a paralegal. Paralegals are trained in the law, but they are not lawyers, and are prohibited from giving legal advice. I am also a young woman. I am helping two elderly clients when this happens.)

Me: “Hello, clients! I’m the attorney’s paralegal, and I will be assisting today.”

Client: “Oh, I see. So…”

(The client proceeds to ask a question that would clearly be the practice of law if I answered it.)

Me: “We’ll have to ask the attorney on that one. That goes out of scope for me as a paralegal.”

Client: “What do you mean? I thought you were just like him! Why can’t you answer my questions?”

Me: “I’m a paralegal, sir, not a lawyer.”

Client: “Oh. I thought that was what they called lady lawyers… paralegals.”

Me: “Um, nope. Paralegals do a lot of legal work, we set appoints, do research and writing, and a good deal of interviewing, but we don’t represent people in court or give legal advice.”

Client: “SO you’re basically a glorified secretary?”

(I breathe a deep sigh, as I have a two year degree in legal studies.)

Me: “If that helps you understand it, then yes, I suppose so.”

(Note: A paralegal is NOTHING like a secretary. NOTHING.)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!