Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

It’s Time For A Change

, , , , | Right | June 7, 2019

(I work at an entertainment store selling movies, games, and music. We also sell some little knick-knacks and headphones. A man and his son come up to the counter; the kid has a couple of cheap knick-knacks he wants to buy. Dad has supposedly given him $8 to pay for them.)

Me: “Hi, welcome to [Store]. Did you find everything okay?”

(The kid puts his things on the counter and I ring them up.)

Me: “Okay, that’ll be $6.50.”

(The kid then hands me $7 to pay for the items. I open the drawer and count out his change.)

Me: “All right, here you go, and here’s your change.”

(I hand the kid his fifty cents, and then his dad steps in.)

Dad: “No, he gave you $8 to pay for the items. You need to give him another dollar!”

(I recheck the receipt, and I specifically remember the kid handing me $7.)

Me: “I counted his money twice, sir, and he handed me $7.”

(The dad continues to insist that his kid gave me $8, even demanding that I recount my drawer. I’m the only person at the front, and my manager is the only one who can recount drawers. We also only count them fully at the end of the day.)

Me: “I’m sorry, sir, I can’t count my drawer without a manager, and he’s in the back doing inventory.”

Dad: “You counted his money wrong, and you need to check your drawer!”

(After about ten minutes of this, the kid’s dad opened his wallet to double check and… found the extra dollar in his wallet. They left without another word.)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!