Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

It’s Only A Trap If You Let It Be A Trap

, , , , | Working | October 27, 2021

When my wife and I were newlyweds, we got one of those, “You definitely have won a car! [in fine print] or one of these other cheap gifts,” ads for what was clearly a timeshare. I was young, but I had already gotten the wise advice to leave the checkbook behind before going to these things. We chanced it and made the long drive to see the place and collect our alleged gift.

The sales guy launched into his spiel about how wonderful the program was, all the cool perks of the place, yadda, yadda, yadda. Then, he started outlining just how “inexpensive” it was. Unfortunately for him, I can do math in my head and could do an impromptu cost/benefit analysis. I knew we’d never get any real value out of the sale.

Salesman: “So, here’s what I’m going to do for the two of you. You can have our deluxe package for [Deal #1]. What can you put down today?”

Me: “That’s not something that’s really in our budget.”

Salesman: “I see. Well, how about this? [Deal #2].”

Me: “No, I don’t think that’s going to work, either.”

Salesman: “Okay, then I can always offer you [Deal #3].”

Me: “No, I don’t think so.”

At this point, my wife was red-faced and looking very uncomfortable. The whole sales pitch was devolving and I was finding it easier to say “no” with each offer. And by “devolving,” I mean that the following transpired in less than thirty seconds:

Salesman: “How about [Deal #4]?”

Me: “No.”

Salesman: “[Deal #5].”

Me: “No.”

Salesman: “[Deal #6].”

Me: “No.”

Salesman: “[Deal #7].”

Me: “No.”

Salesman: “[Deal #8].”

Me: “No.”

Salesman: “[Deal #9].”

Me: “No.”

The salesman and coldly extended his hand.

Salesman: “Have a good day.”

We collected our cheap prize, and on the drive back home, my wife said she would have signed from the pressure. We never did get a tour of the property. Maybe he’s a good salesman, but it sure seemed like a weaselly business to me.

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!