Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

It’s A Revolution In BSing

, , , , | Learning | August 28, 2017

(My senior year I am in AP US history. Our teacher likes to offer different ways to earn grades in addition to traditional papers and tests. We often have a “debate” of sorts. It is more of a discussion that we are graded on based on how we contribute and participate. We aren’t allowed to use our materials during the discussion, making preparation very important to our grades. This particular day I get to class and realize I have forgotten about the debate completely.)

Me: “Oh… oh, no.”

Friend: “Did you not prepare?!”

Me: “…maybe?”

Friend: “Oh, my god. You’d better cram! I spent, like, four hours total preparing for this!”

(I quickly do my best to review the topic, which has something to do with US involvement in foreign countries. I skim the provided materials and the textbook section that covers the topic. The teacher then has us put everything away and the debate starts. Eventually I catch on to how the discussion is going and manage to contribute here and there, totally BSing it and saying whatever I think will work towards either side of the discussion. This is basically all I say:)

Me: “But what if we had given up like that during the Revolutionary War?”

(My classmates continue to debate.)

Me: “Again, what if the colonists had just accepted British rule?! That’s not the American spirit!”

(More discussion.)

Me: “So you’re saying that it’s not worth fighting for? What if the French hadn’t come to our aid in the American Revolution, huh? Where would we be now!”

(I continued to say a variation of this, adding different comments along with it, for the duration of class. I sounded ridiculous, and I assumed everyone had noticed my lack of preparation. Afterwards, my teacher catches me as I’m heading out the door.)

Teacher: “[My Name]! Wait, I just wanted to say I was really impressed with your participation in class today. I could tell you really spent time preparing and I am proud of your efforts. You got a really good grade.”

Friend: *after teacher was out of earshot* “ARE YOU SERIOUS!? How… I… You’re insane. That’s just… I hate you!”

Me: “Please, you know you love my amazing BS skills.”

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!