Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

It Really, Really Is A Small World After All

, , , , , | Friendly | May 25, 2023

We’re on holiday from the UK to America, and we end up staying with friends of a friend. They are a lovely couple but not exactly the travelled type. They are regularly shocked when we also have certain brands or TV channels in the UK, the same as them, and they can’t comprehend how big or old some of England is.

Me: “I was going to get some things to make us all dinner tonight.”

Woman: “Oh, I can’t wait to taste some European food.”

Me: “Er, sure, you could call it that. Is there a store nearby? Anything on a bus route?”

Woman: “Oh, don’t worry about that; I will take you. Hey, there’s an English woman who works there. Maybe you know her?”

Me: “I doubt that. There are fifty million of us.”

Woman: “Really? Well, she is about your age, so you might know her.”

She drives me there later that day. We walk in, and we’re walking around when I feel a tap on my shoulder. I turn around and a worker is standing there.

Worker: “Sorry, but is your name [My Name]?”

Me: “Yes?”

Worker: “I thought it was you! It’s [Worker]; we went to school together!”

[Worker] joined us for drinks that weekend. It was great to see her again, but I think I’ve ruined my hosts’ idea of the UK!

Related:
It Really Is A Small World After All
It’s A Small World After All

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!