Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

It Pays To Be Patient

, , , , | Right | August 17, 2012

(I am a waitress. One of my customers has just finished eating and is using a debit card to pay for his meal. The machine automatically includes a step giving the option to include a tip.)

Customer: “I don’t understand technology. This machine isn’t working. It won’t let me leave a tip!”

(The machine clearly gives three options: Leave a tip in a dollar amount, a percentage amount, or skip the tip.)

Me: “Well, sir, you have three choices: a dollar amount, a percentage amount, or no tip. To choose one, press the button directly underneath it on the screen, and the machine will take you to the next step.”

Customer: “Oh, okay!”

(He proceeds to type in a dollar amount, but the machine does nothing since he has not chosen the dollar option.)

Customer: “It still doesn’t work! They made this machine far too difficult to use!”

Me: “Okay, well, I’ll just explain your options to you again…”

(This time, I physically point to each of the three buttons as I explain the difference between the three options.)

Customer: “Oh, okay!”

(He again proceeds to type a dollar amount without choosing an option.)

Customer: “The machine doesn’t work!”

Me: “Okay, sir, if you want to add a tip as a dollar amount, press the first button there labelled ‘$’. The machine will take you to the next step, and then you can enter the amount you wish to leave.”

Customer: “Oh, okay!”

(He still doesn’t get it. I end up explaining about seven more times until he finally pushes the button to proceed to the next step.)

Customer: “Oh… well, that was easy! I don’t know why it took so long for me to understand that. Thank you for being so patient. I’m going to leave you $1 for every time you had to explain it to me!”

(He ended up leaving me a $10 tip. His meal had only amounted to $25. Definitely one of the best customers I’ve had!)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!