Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

It Pays To Be Correct

, , , , | Right | April 9, 2012

(I work at a popular tax office. One day, a woman in her 30s, whose taxes I had done the year before, comes in to file. Once we finish entering her information, I tell her how much she would be getting in her refund, which is substantial.)

Me: “So, your state return is $1,570, and your federal is $4,900, for a total of $6,470.”

Customer: “That can’t be right.”

Me: “Do you have another W-2 or 1099 that you need to add?”

Customer: “No, I mean that’s too much money.”

Me: “What do you mean?”

Customer: “I only got $300 last year, so I think you did my taxes wrong.”

Me: “Mrs. [Name], I assure you I did them right. You also did get a better job last year, got married, and had a child. All of those things qualified you for credits and a higher refund.”

Customer: “No, No, NO! You did it WRONG and I am not going to JAIL because you are INCOMPETENT!” *grabs her purse and walks out, leaving all her tax documents behind*

(My manager later told me that the customer had come back for her tax documents. She said she had done her taxes online herself, and was getting less than $1000.)


This story is part of the Tax Day roundup! This is the last story in the roundup, but we have plenty of others you might enjoy!

25 Shocking Stories About Customers Who Are The Reason Why We Keep Going Into Recessions

 

Read the next Tax Day roundup story!

Read the Tax Day roundup!

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!