Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

IT Killed The Radio Star

| Working | May 14, 2013

(I work at a radio station. As such, I’ve discovered that the average IT certification doesn’t cover some of the specialized software we use in broadcasting. However, company protocol dictates I call tech support whenever a computer problem arises, which leads to frequent exchanges like this.)

Me: “Yeah, [computer program] is acting up. Could you dial in and…”

(I explain how to fix the problem.)

IT: “Hold on there; don’t get ahead of yourself.  I’m the IT professional and I’ll figure out how to fix it.”

Me: “Could you just assign the problem to [senior IT person]?  I usually deal with him and he knows how to fix it.”

IT: “Sir, I’ll have you know I’m well versed in most of the popular office software today.  I’m certain I can fix your problem.”

Me: *gives up* “Okay.”

IT: “Now, what’s the name of the computer program that’s giving you trouble?”

Me: *says name of program*

IT: “Huh. I’ve never heard of that program before. What does it do?”

Me: “It plays all of our music, commercials, and pretty much everything you hear on the air on a radio station.”

IT: “Wait. Are you telling me that if I start working with this program, I could knock you off the air?”

Me: “Yup.”

IT: “Um, well, I…”

Me: “In fact, we’ve been off the air for about 10 minutes now, so it’s a bit of an emergency.”

IT: “Uh, who did you say usually looks after this?”

Me: “[Senior IT person].”

IT: “Let me get him for you…”

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!