Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

It Doesn’t Take A Leap To Figure Out What Happened Here

, , , | Right | February 29, 2020

It is February 29th, and I am working the register. An older customer is paying by check, and has dated it March 1st.

Me:
“Excuse me, sir, you’ve dated this check incorrectly. Today’s date is February 29th.”

Customer:
“What the h*** are you on about? It’s March 1st!”

Me:
*Laughing* “Oh, I know, sir! But this is a leap year, so we get the extra day in February. I almost forgot myself!”

Customer:
“A leap what?! What the h*** are you on about!?”

Me:
“This year is a leap year, which means we have an extra day.”

Customer:
“Son, I am old enough to be your grandfather, and I ain’t ever heard of no stupid leap year! Is this one of those d*** millennial things? You lazy f***ers need an extra day to get your s*** done?!”

Me:
*Momentarily shocked* “Uh… no, sir. It’s just that the Earth rotates around the sun a tiny bit slower than 365 days, so every four years we need to tack on an extra day to correct it. It’s not a ‘millennial’ thing; it’s been happening for a couple of hundred years, I believe.”

The customer’s wife comes up, asking what the holdup is.

Customer:
“This d*** lazy kid and their generation made up some extra day because they couldn’t get their s*** together! In my day, we had a calendar and we stuck to it!”

Customer’s Wife:
“Honey, in your day, you were high on acid and you didn’t even know what day it was, you stupid hippie. Now pay the d*** man and get your stupid a** into the car.”

The customer’s wife shoots me a sympathetic look and then wanders off. The customer makes a show and dance about rewriting the check with the correct date and dramatically hands it over to me, mumbling.

Customer:
“D*** millennials, slowing down the Earth…”

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!