Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Isn’t Buying Into The Sale

| Right | September 23, 2014

(We regularly have deals on cases of paper where a customer can purchase a specified number of cases, and receive another one for free. A customer comes into the store and makes a bee-line for the sale cases. This week’s deal is buy two, get one free.)

Customer: “Two cases of paper, please!”

(I immediately suspect there will be an issue. I radio for an associate to start heading to the paper display in case there’s a dispute, then ring up the customer’s paper.)

Me: “Okay! Your total is [cost of two full price cases and sales tax].”

Customer: “What!? Your sign says buy two, get one free! Why isn’t my second one free!?”

Me: “Sir, buy two get one means that you have to BUY TWO cases first. Then your third one’s free.”

Customer: “THAT’S NOT WHAT THE AD SIGN SAYS!”

Me: “It is, sir. It says BUY TWO. You know, like PURCHASE TWO? You have to PAY FOR two cases before you get the third one?”

Customer: “THAT’S NOT WHAT IT SAYS! I WANT MY SECOND CASE FOR FREE!”

Me: “Sir, I can’t just give you a free case of paper. The sale you’re thinking of is buy one, get one – not buy two get one.”

(At this point I’m pretty sure the customer realizes his error. There is a long pause while he stares at me expectantly, and then…)

Customer: “FINE! Give me my third case! But I want to speak to your store manager! That’s misleading and you’re cheating people out of their money!”

Me: “Sure thing, sir. Here’s his business card. He’ll be in tomorrow. Have a nice night!”

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!