Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Invisible Disability, Visible Laziness

, , , , , , | Friendly | July 13, 2021

I have what is sometimes called an invisible disability. It varies from week to week. At its best, it is a numb pain; at worst, I can barely walk. Even so, unless I absolutely have to, I never park in the disabled spots. There are far too many people who rely on these to just live a normal life.

Once, I was in such pain that I couldn’t face the long walk across the car park and had to turn around when some idiot parked across two spaces!

A friend is driving us to the shops. I must have mentioned that I have a parking badge as she goes to park in a disabled bay.

Me: “Wait, what are you doing?”

Friend: “You said you have a pass to park here.”

Me: “Maybe, but I don’t need to use it. Park in a normal spot.”

Friend: *Whining* “But it’s so much closer.”

Me: “I can see a dozen spaces just there.”

Friend: “Well, we are parked now, so I’m not moving.”

She gets out of the car.

Me: “I can’t believe how lazy you are!”

My friend shouts at some random man.

Friend: “Don’t worry, she’s disabled!”

Me: “Don’t say that!”

Friend: “Whatever.”

We finish our shop, apart, and then walk back to the car. I walk right past.

Friend: “Where are you going?”

Me: “Walking home. I’m not going anywhere with you.”

Friend: “Don’t be stupid.”

Me: “I’ve never had anyone use my disability for their own benefit, and I don’t intend to let anyone start now. Don’t call me. I don’t want to talk to you.”

When lockdown started, I was grateful for the distance between us. And I haven’t heard from her since.

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!