Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Inventing Inventory Venting

| Working | May 28, 2014

(I am hired by a local comic shop, where I buy my comics and role-playing games, to be a part-time employee handling their gaming section. I knew from past experience that the boss there could be a bit of a d***. I work there, three days a week, for several months, increasing the size of their gaming section from about 10% of their income to about 30%. I set up an inventory system, remodel the section, put together a bulletin board for gamers… I rocked it.)

Boss: “I like your new inventory system. There seems to be a lot we don’t carry, though, that you have on this list. Put together a list of what we should order.”

Me: “Okay, easy enough. That’s why I set up the inventory system in the first place.”

(I go through and write up a complete list, with order numbers, and have it ready by the end of the day.)

Me: “Hey, [Boss], here’s that list. I put the most basic stuff first, for the first order, and listed the rest in decreasing order of importance.”

Boss: “Huh? Just order all of it.”

Me: “Uh, no? It’s a lot of stuff. I don’t feel comfortable with that.”

Boss: “Whatever. Fine, I’ll look it over.”

(A week later…)

Me: “Did you look over that order?”

Boss: “No, not yet. I’ll look it over before the next order.”

(This goes on for three weeks. On week four, he comes to me and says:)

Boss: “Hey, I put in that order for you. You can stop bugging me about it.”

Me: “What did you order?”

Boss: “What you put on the list.”

Me: “Which part?”

Boss: “The list you gave me..”

Me: “Uh-oh.”

(The order comes on Thursday, and the UPS guy wheels in three big boxes. We usually only get one.)

Boss: “D***, this is a big order.”

UPS Guy: *laughs* “Yeah, this is only the first part.”

Boss: *looks at me with a quizzical look* “How much did you order?!”

Me: “Not a d*** thing. I told you several times, I wasn’t comfortable putting in the order, and you needed to review it, and only order what you wanted for the first part.”

(By now, the order is in, ten boxes. The invoice shows the cost, several thousand dollars, where we have never had an order go over $500. The boss starts cussing me out.)

Me: “You always complain that no one gives you notice. Well, here’s mine. Get a new guy to handle this, because after today, I am done. I don’t need this from you, or anyone else.”

Boss: “Get out. I don’t want you here. GO AWAY!”

Me: “You know, [Boss], there is awful lot of product here that you have no idea how to stock on the shelf. Why don’t I put it away, and then I will go…”

Boss: “NO! GET OUT!”

Me: “I will stay and put it away, and I will even clock out first, just so the customers don’t have to deal with the mess.”

Boss: “GET THE F*** OUT!”

Me: “Okay.”

(I find out from other employees that he has told them if I am seen in the store, the person on duty will be fired for allowing me in. Meanwhile, I am in every week, and still get my employee discount from everyone. Half of what I put on that list sold out within six months, the rest within the year. Three years later, I am in the store when he walks in. The guy on duty gets pale, remembering that he may just be getting fired.)

Boss: “Hey, [My Name], can we talk? I want to apologize for being such an a**hole about the order thing. I am thinking about opening a store just for gaming, and want you to manage it. I would let you handle the whole thing; I would just be the money guy. You want in?”

(It was an awesome offer, and I hated to turn it down, but I did. As I walked way, I could see that the two employees, and Boss’s brother, were all standing there with their jaws on the floor. They had never seen Boss apologize before…)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!