Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Insistence Is The Mother Of Generosity

, , , , , | Right | November 13, 2017

(At the time of this story, I’m 19 and working as a cashier to pay college tuition. I’m also battling some autoimmune issues that have not been officially diagnosed. All of the baggers have wandered off, so I’m pulled off a register to bag. A lady with three young children and a full cart comes in. She’s got her hands full, so I offer to help her out to her car. We get halfway out the door, when…)

Customer: “Hey! When I said I needed help, I thought one of the boys would do it. I’ve got all those packs of soda and water bottles. I don’t want to make you lift it! Go back inside. I’ll find a guy.”

(All the boy baggers are hiding in the breakroom, and won’t be out anytime soon. I don’t want to say this, as my manager is in earshot.)

Me: “Oh, it’s no problem, ma’am! I’m used to it.”

Customer: “I see. Typical male behavior. They wander off all the time, huh?”

Me: “I…”

Customer: “Oh! Your manager is right there. You can’t talk. Well, let’s get this cart to the parking lot, and I’ll help you unload when I get these kiddos buckled in. So, I’m guessing you’re a college student. Where do you attend?”

(We chat all the way out to the car. While she’s turning on the car and buckling in her kids, I get the cart unloaded. She comes back, and…)

Customer: “Wow! You are so fast! I said I’d help; you didn’t need to do that all by yourself!”

Me: “You don’t need to do that. It’s my job!”

Customer: “Well, at least let me give you a tip or something.”

(We are not supposed to take tips; however, management allows us to accept if the customer insists we take it. We have to decline it once, first, however.)

Me: “No, ma’am; that’s not necessary.”

Customer: “But I insist! Is that the magic word? I insist that you take this tip, and I won’t take ‘no’ for an answer.”

Me: “Well, if you insist, I can take it.”

Customer: *places something in my hand* “Don’t look until you get inside. And good luck with college!”

(Once I got inside, I ducked into the bathroom. She had tipped me $20! I never saw her again, but if she’s reading this… THANK YOU!)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!