Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Inbox Goes Outbox

, , , , , | Working | July 22, 2018

(I work for a third-party IT company, contracting as an onsite tech for a client. I’ve been frustrated with the job for a while and have finally found a new one. I’ve given notice to my boss, who has let the client know, and their HR person has put the notice in one of their weekly email updates. This situation proves that no one actually reads their emails. This is my last Thursday at the job. The next day, Friday, is my last day.)

Coworker #1: *is having some issues that require a lot of updates to be run* “Can you fix this next week? I’m leaving soon and won’t be back until Monday.”

Me: “I can put a note in your ticket and have one of the other techs check back with you, but tomorrow is my last day.”

Coworker #1: “What?! That’s not possible!”

Coworker #2: “Yeah, it is. The email went out like a week and a half ago.”

Coworker #1: *looking between [Coworker #2] and me* “Why?”

Me: “Um, I got a new job?”

Coworker #1: “But who will I go to for help?”

(While this client does pay for onsite support, they’re not supposed to come directly to our desks for their initial help. Because of the contract, we have to track everything, so unless their machine is literally on fire, they’re supposed to submit a ticket. However, most of them basically refuse to do that for some reason. And we’re not allowed to tell them to go submit a ticket when they’re in our faces; we can do it if they email or instant-message us directly.)

Me: “Well, whoever might be sitting in the IT space. Or, you could submit a ticket.”

Coworker #1: “Oh. Well, you should have told me you were leaving!”

Coworker #2: *makes eye contact and rolls her eyes*

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!