Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

In The Dark About Those Ages

| Learning | December 1, 2014

(This story takes places when I’m in 11th grade history class. We’re learning about the European Middle Ages. The teacher just has us read an excerpt from a text written in 1035 AD.)

Teacher: “So, who can tell me what the author was talking about here?”

(Nobody raises their hand.)

Teacher: “Come on, the subject is very dark and apocalyptic. What is he talking about?!”

(Still no reaction from the class.)

Teacher: *starts yelling* “Seriously, teenagers these days have no clue about history at all!! Why are you all so dumb?! This text is obviously about the Crusades! Everybody should know that!”

(I raise my hand.)

Teacher: *smugly* “Yes, [My Name]?”

Me: “Correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t Pope Urban II invoke the First Crusade in 1095? How could the author have foreseen that?”

(The teacher went silent for a moment, then he dismissed my statement claiming I was wrong. Turns out I wasn’t. The funniest part was that in his own documents on the matter that he handed out to us, several important medieval dates were written, including the one in question. Maybe he should’ve read it himself.)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!