Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

In Receipt Of Bad Instructions

| Working | October 6, 2015

(My manager is very nice, but either doesn’t know how to run a hotel or has never worked in one. He’s completely clueless. One day, he’s training me, a new hire.)

Manager: “Okay, so at 3:00 you have to print out the customers’ receipts, and then leave the desk and go up the elevator and deliver them by pushing them under each door.”

Me: “I have to deliver them? I will be working by myself, right?”

Manager: “Yes, you’ll be alone.”

Me: *fretting* “But, what if the phone rings or the customer comes down and I’m not there?”

Manager: “Don’t worry, that rarely happens. Just do what I say, ok?”

Me: “Okaaay.”

(Everything goes well for a few weeks, and then it happens: I’m away delivering the receipts, and a customer calls and calls the desk. Getting no answer, he goes to the desk, only to find no one. When I get back, he yells at me. Then he complains to the manager, who calls me over the next day.)

Manager: “You’ve gotten a complaint. This guy called and called last night, and no one answered. The phone must be answered.”

Me: “I was away delivering the receipts.”

Manager: “I know, but I HAVE to write you up. Sign this.”

Me: “WHAT?!”

Manager: “It’s ok. It rarely happens.”

(I started looking for another job the following day. Managers may need to be nice, but they need to know how to do their job, too!)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!