Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

In Line And Out Of Line, Part 19

, , , , , , | Right | May 26, 2021

On a very busy summer Saturday, this customer comes into the store with a leg brace on. She seems to have a slight hobble but is otherwise fine. She wanders around the store for three hours. When she is ready to check out, our line is to the back of the store. She comes to me at my register.

Customer: “Hi. I only have one item, and my leg is killing me. I just broke it last week and I really shouldn’t be standing on it. Is there a way I can jump the line?”

Me: “I’m sorry, ma’am, but unfortunately, you will have to stand in line and wait your turn. We are getting through the line as quickly as we can, so it should only take less than ten minutes.”

Customer: “I don’t think you’re understanding me. I am injured and need accommodations. I only have one item.”

Me: “I do understand. We just don’t have any accommodations that would let you check out at this very moment. You are more than welcome to put your item on hold in the Fitting Room and come back later! We’ll hold anything until the end of the business day.”

Customer: “Well, what about that sign you have over your register?”

I’m currently at a register that has a handicap sign above it, stating that the register accommodates people in wheelchairs and must remain open at all times.

Me: “That sign just means that the counter and PIN pad are low enough for a customer in a wheelchair to use without needing help. It does not mean that you get to cut in line to use it.”

Customer: “Why would you have a register for disabilities if you’re not even going to use it properly? People should be able to come to this register if they can’t stand in line!”

I don’t know about anyone reading this, but I’ve never heard of a store having a register specifically for disabled or injured customers to cut the line.

Me: “I apologise for the inconvenience, but you’re just going to have to wait or put your item on hold and come back later.”

Customer: “You’re not being very accommodating right now! It’s only one item. I don’t understand what the big deal is.”

Me: “I’m sorry you feel that way, ma’am, but the accommodations that we have for disabled people are currently in place and working just fine. I have given you all the options we have to help you, but—”

Customer: “So you’re not going to help me? You’re refusing to help an injured customer? I bet social media will be all over you for that. I bet when I go back to the doctor tomorrow for my checkup, he’ll tell me the damage to my leg got worse because you wouldn’t help me.”

She is holding up my register. My current customer ran off as soon as they had their receipt, and I can’t call my next customer without pushing her away. I’m fuming at her accusations, but I manage to talk through gritted teeth.

Me: “Ma’am, if I’m not mistaken, you’ve been shopping for the last three hours. If you can stand on a broken leg for that long, you can manage another ten minutes.”

Probably not the best thing to say, but it shuts her up for a minute at least.

Customer: “JUST LET ME CUT THE LINE!”

Me: *Gesturing to the long line of patient customers behind her* “You may cut the line if every single person in it agrees to let you. Good luck with that.”

As if on cue, the customer at the front of the line — who happens to be in a wheelchair, to top it off — proceeds to move forward to my register and nearly hits the woman’s injured leg.

Next Customer: “WILL YOU MOVE ALREADY?! I NEED TO USE THIS REGISTER AND YOU’RE HOLDING EVERYONE UP!”

The woman called me a b**** before saying she was calling corporate and leaving, slamming her top on the counter, and pushing her shopping cart into my security guard. The customer in the wheelchair ended up buying her top!

Related:
In Line And Out Of Line, Part 18
In Line And Out Of Line, Part 17
In Line And Out Of Line, Part 16
In Line And Out Of Line, Part 15
In Line And Out Of Line, Part 14

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!