Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

In Line And Out Of Line

, , , , | Right | December 14, 2021

I work at a large department store in the jewelry department. We’re severely understaffed and I am the only person in the department. I’m wearing multiple crystals along with large, witchy-looking earrings. I have just helped a woman pick out some jewelry and I look back to see a line forming at my register.

Me: “All right, ma’am, now that we’ve found something for you, if you’d like to get in line, I can check you out as quickly as possible.”

I walk to my register and start checking the other customers out. I finally get to this woman after just a couple of minutes.

Customer: *Before I can say anything* “Get me your manager. Now.”

Me: “Of course, ma’am. Was there anything wrong with your experience today?”

Customer: “Manager. Now.”

I call my manager, but it takes a couple of minutes for her to come downstairs and get to my department.

Manager: “How can I help you?”

Customer: “Your employee was helping me and then made me go to the back of the line to check out. I want to buy these, but I don’t want her getting credit for it.”

We have sales goals that she somehow knows about.

Manager: “I’m sorry, ma’am, but that’s not possible. She’s the only employee today, so she’s the only one able to check guests out in this department. I apologize.”

The customer throws down all of the jewelry she is holding.

Customer: “Then I don’t want any of this. How can you hire such rude people to work here?!”

Me: “I’m sorry, ma’am, but the other customers were waiting in line and I’m required to help customers in order of the line.”

She glares daggers at me, and then she sees my jewelry.

Customer: “You are the rudest employee I have ever met. The customer is always right! I’m… I’m gonna put a hex on you!”

She storms out of the store.

Me: *To my manager* “Did I do anything wrong here? I’m the only one, and I called for help but nobody came.”

Manager: “No, you’re fine.” *Walks away*

I guess some people think they deserve the rules to bend for them and nobody else.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!