Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

I’m Not Paid Enough To Know How Much I’m Paid!

, , , , | Right | May 24, 2021

I work as an employment advisor in the medical industry. In this profession, there is a lot of discrepancy in salary from person to person. Specialist training and performance awards can result in pay increases whilst still remaining on the same employment grade as another person.

Caller: “I just found out that my coworker is getting paid much more than me! I don’t think this is fair. Can you please tell me if I’m on the right salary?

Me: “I can tell you what the normal salary progression for your grade and length of service would be. That won’t take into account any discretionary uplifts or specialist training, but you definitely shouldn’t be getting paid less than that so let’s start there.”

A few minutes later, I’ve done the calculations and advised the doctor that the minimum salary for her should be £[salary].

Me: “Can you tell me if that matches your current salary?”

Caller: “No.”

Me: “Okay, can you please tell me what the difference is?”

Caller: “I don’t know.”

Me: “Okay, can you please tell me what your basic salary is at the moment?”

Caller: “No! I just told you that I don’t know what I’m getting paid. I don’t see why you are making this so difficult.”

I take a beat. 

Me: “Okay, let me just summarise where I think we are right now. You have asked me to tell you if you are on the right pay. However, you don’t know what you are getting paid so we don’t actually have a way to confirm if you are or aren’t getting paid correctly.”

Caller: “…”

Me: “…”

Caller: “I don’t see what’s so hard about this.”

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!