Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

If You’re White You Can’t Be An Immigrant

, , , | Right | July 16, 2018

(I work in a state call center for tax and finance, mostly dealing with questions regarding tax return statuses. As this is a government office, we get many people complaining to us about government issues that they are unhappy about, as if we had any power to change them. I have answered all of this taxpayer’s relevant questions; however, she has decided to vent to me. I am attempting to end the call, without much luck, as she isn’t giving me a chance to talk. Unfortunately we are not allowed to hang up on callers.)

Caller: *after venting about the governor and the amount of taxes she has to pay* “You know, none of this would be that bad if it wasn’t for all these immigrants, taking our jobs and demanding benefits. Isn’t it just awful, all these people coming in from other countries? Why can’t they just stay in their own countries? It just makes it harder for hard-working Americans like you and me. Don’t you agree?”

Me: “Ma’am, with all due respect, I am an immigrant; my family moved from Germany when I was little. I am not an American citizen, so I guess I am one of those immigrants taking jobs from Americans.”

(We moved when I was very young, so I speak English with a General American Accent — no hint of a German accent.)

Customer: “Well, obviously I don’t mean you; you’re not really an immigrant.”

(Luckily, she was too embarrassed to keep ranting, and allowed me to properly end the call soon after.)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!