Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

If You’re Over Sixty You Suffer From A (Terms And) Condition

, , , | Right | December 16, 2018

(I work in a small branch of a popular store in a small town. Every Wednesday we offer discounts to customers over 60, but this can’t be used with any other offers in the store. I’m working the till when this happens.)

Customer: “Hey. Just these, please.”

(He hands me three items on a multi-buy offer, which I don’t notice. I put the items through the till, and then, when handed the discount card I scan it automatically while talking to the customer.)

Me: “Okay, that’ll be [total].”

Customer: “That’s not right; that should be less! I have my discount card!”

Me: “Oh, I’m so sorry, sir; I didn’t notice that these items were on offer. Unfortunately, it won’t take the discount off without voiding the offer that’s on.”

Customer: “This is a scam! You just want my details; that’s all it is!”

(I try to explain to the customer why it won’t work, and that we don’t have access to any of his information as it’s stored on a database at the main office. After dealing with the customer for a while, I begin to lose my patience, as I have a queue building.)

Customer: “No, I want my discount. Nowhere does it say I can’t use it with this offer!”

(I turn around, get a new card with the application still attached, slam it on the till in front of him and, while reading it, slide my finger under the line that says, “Cannot be used in conjunction with any other offers or promotions.” The customer then throws the items at me, tells me it’s a scam one more time, and makes his way towards the exit.)

Me: *to next customer* “Hi there.”

Next Customer: *loud enough for the last customer to hear before he leaves* “Hey there. I’m sorry that you had to deal with someone like that.”

(After that day, every time I sign someone new up for the card I make sure they know the T&C’s, as this was about the third, but most definitely the worst customer I’ve had do this.)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!