Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

If You Wore A Mask, It Might Muffle Your Misogyny

, , , , , | Working | April 21, 2021

I am a low-level supervisor at a chain store. Last year, we added masks to our uniforms. One backroom associate has been quite vocal about his feelings on the matter. When his male coworkers or superiors tell him to wear his mask, he puts it on. But when I — a female superior — tell him to wear his mask, he argues or just ignores me.

[Associate] is sitting in the break room with two coworkers when I enter. He immediately gets up and leaves, not wearing his mask and not looking at me.

Me: “[Associate]?”

He walks faster.

Me: “Your mask, [Associate].”

Associate: “It is illegal to make me wear it.”

Me: *Eye-roll* “I’m not getting into this with you again. Mask up or go home.”

Associate: “I’m a war vet. I fought for your freedom.”

Me: “Thank you for your service. Mask up or go home.”

Associate:My mask protects you. Your mask protects me. So—”

Me: “Does that mean you don’t want to protect others?”

Associate: “I don’t care.”

Me: “This is your last chance. Get your mask on or get in your car and go home.”

He stared at me, probably trying to think of something else to say. Instead, he walked out and left. I emailed up the chain of command, detailing our conversation. He was finally terminated for insubordination.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!