Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

If You Play Games With The Manager The Manager Will Take Games Away From You

, , , , , , | Working | January 9, 2023

Our office has a new manager. They are firm yet pleasant, and I appreciate them taking a stronger stance against some of the lazier members of the office.

One coworker is one of those aforementioned lazier members of the office and has coasted so far under the neglect of previous managers.

My coworker is moaning to me at lunch.

Coworker: “That d*** [Manager’s Name] told me that I won’t get a bonus this year if my score doesn’t improve!”

Me: “What’s your score?”

Coworker: “Four, but I was always a five until they showed up!”

In our office, our schedules and process-based tasks are scored based on accuracy, and timeliness, and as long as you do a reasonable job it’s very easy to score an eight or nine out of ten.

Our small-but-appreciated end-of-year bonus goes a percentage point or two higher the higher the score. Five is the lowest score that grants a bonus, so four and below get you nothing.

Me: “Maybe if you didn’t browse the Internet between tasks—“

Coworker: “I knew [Manager] was out to get me as soon as they started talking about efficiency this and productivity that!”

Me: “And maybe if you weren’t always so late—“

Coworker: “And I needed that bonus! I already put down a deposit for a PlayStation!”

Me: “It’s not the best idea to spend money you haven’t got.”

They continued to rant, not really wanting to hear what I had to say and I finished up and got back to work.

A few weeks later as we got our end-of-year scores and bonus announcements, I see my coworkers storm into my manager’s office. Less than a minute later my coworker storms back out.

Later that day, our manager sends out an office-wide email.

Manager: “Just to let you all know I’ve become aware of a super-hard-to-find Playstation 5 that has just become available, and for cheaper than the recommended retail price at that! PM me for details!”

My bonus allowed me to play some great games over the end-of-year holiday season! I wonder where the manager got such a hard-to-find item from?

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!