Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

If You Love Someone, Let Them Say No

, , , , , | Related | November 3, 2022

I loved a certain children’s movie growing up. Now, as an adult, every time my older sister comes across something related to it, she buys it. I have a lot of figurines, clothing articles, and other odds and ends, most of which are tucked in a closet because I just don’t have room to display them.

My sister texts me one day.

Sister: “Look what I found!”

She sends a picture of a figurine from the movie. It only vaguely resembles the character.

Me: “No, thanks.”

Sister: “But it’s [Movie].”

Me: “I don’t want any more things from [Movie]. I have more than enough. But thank you for thinking of me.”

Sister: “I was just trying to be nice, but f*** me, I guess.”

Me: “I appreciate the gesture, but I just don’t have the room.”

She doesn’t say anything else. A few days go by, and my mom calls me.

Mom: “Why were you so rude to your sister?”

Me: “What? When?”

Mom: “She was trying to do something nice and you told her off!”

Me: “I have no idea what you’re talking about.”

Mom: “[Sister] offered to buy you a [Character] toy, and you blew her off.”

Me: “Mom, you know I have a s***-ton of [Movie] stuff. I really don’t need any more; I could get rid of half of it and still have too much.”

Mom: “You should be grateful that your sister thinks of you so much.”

Me: *Sigh* “I am, Mom, but I don’t need more stuff.”

Mom: “You should apologize to her.”

Me: “I’m not saying sorry for setting a boundary.”

Mom: “Well, the choice is yours.”

She hung up before I could say anything else. My sister has not tried to buy me a single [Movie] item in over six months. She might think she’s showing me how it feels, but honestly, I’m just grateful she listened and stopped buying them.

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!