Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

If It’s Not Fast They’re Furious

, , , , | Right | August 26, 2021

I work for the local council. Local councils are offering grants to families with young children who are struggling through the winter months, mainly those already claiming the government benefits.

A few years ago, the government made a new benefit scheme that took away the housing benefit from local councils. Many clients transferred to the new benefit, which means we no longer hold bank account details for those clients, but they can still apply for council tax reduction through the council. However, this is just a reduction in their bill and not a paid benefit.

To make it easier, there is no application form for the grant, as those already on the council tax reduction will automatically become eligible for the grant.

Client: “I received an email about the Winter Grant payment and want to see if I have been paid. I receive [government benefit].”

Me: “There is no application process for this grant.”

I explain how the grant works.

Client: “Oh, yeah. I was asked to send it to my bank, which I have done, but I haven’t received the money.”

Due to the number of pay-outs the council has with benefits, refunds, grants, etc., payments usually take a few days to go through to the clients.

Me: “When did you send your bank details to us?”

Client: “Ten minutes ago.” 

Me: “Unfortunately, the payment will not come that quickly.”

I explain.

Client: “Urgh! So I just have to wait, then?”

Me: “Yes, ma’am.”

Awkward pause.

Client: “Okay.” *Click*

I had to burst out laughing. This lady previously received a local benefit. I checked her account on our benefits system so I could put a note on and saw she would always call regarding her benefit payments, and someone would always explain the payment times to her. I guess some people never learn?

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!