Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

“If In Doubt, Meriadoc, Always Follow Your Nose!”

, , , | Working | January 18, 2023

I am a network engineer hired by a company to be sent to different military bases and upgrade their networks to newer technology. One of the critical nodes I helped configure went offline, so I went with a couple of recruits to bring it back onto the network.

On our way back, we were walking into the building they work out of past the large propane tank the building uses for heat.

Me: “Hey, it smells like gas out here.”

Recruit #1: “I don’t smell anything.”

Me: “I can smell it coming from over here. Should we report it?”

Recruit #2: “Nah, it’ll be fine.”

Me: “I don’t know. It might be an issue.”

My comments landed on deaf ears as the recruits and their staff were eager to leave for the evening and begin their weekend.

The following Monday morning, I got a text from their chief engineer.

Chief: “Don’t bother coming in right now. There is a gas leak and our building is evacuated.”

I was given the all-clear to come in around noon, and I joined the staff back in their office to continue my work.

Me: *Pointing out the back door* “So, that tank out there was leaking?”

Sergeant: “Yep.”

I turn to the recruits from the previous Friday.

Me: “I did say I smelled gas when we were out there on Friday.”

Recruit #1: “Oh, yeah! You did say that!”

Recruit #2: “Yeah, [My Name] was telling us he smelled gas when we were back there.”

Sergeant: “Okay, the new rule is that we all have to obey [My Name]’s nose.”

I haven’t detected any gas leaks since then, but I am keeping an eye out… or, uh… a nose out.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!